The time has come to wrap up my knickers sewing! I've only got 3 weeks until our things get packed up to be shipped back overseas and while that may seem like a lot of time, for an overseas move, it's just a moment.
Below I have summed up a list of the sew-along posts so that if you try the sew-along later (there's never any expiration date, I'm always here to answer your questions!) you have everything in one place.
- Getting started.
- Choosing your fabric. (With tips for stretch fabrics.)
- Where do I buy my fabric?
- Your first seams.
- Ribbon trimming the leg openings.
- Adding elastic to the waist.
- Adding "Le Crotch" insert.
- Trimming the legs with lace.
- Embroidered Touches
- For those of you who have asked about sewing the knickers with a drawstring... keep in mind that they will be a bit bulky for undies after that, but that they would make great sleep shorts. To make these with a drawstring, simply add a 1" allowance to the top of the waist before cutting it out. Sew two small buttonholes in the center front, 1" apart on either side of the seam. Then sew the extra inch allowance into a casing and stitch down. Thread your ribbon or tie string through and voila!
- To add a lace inset, check out this older tutorial for the Pauline Sew-Along.
- For adding the perfect bow, check out this great tutorial by Sarah from Ohhh Lulu.
|A Map to your Knickers!|
|French Knickers in tencil knit jersey.|
|French Knickers in silk twill with ribbon trimmed legs.|
|French Knickers with lace trim.|